To get your joystick/steering wheel or other game controllers working and to configure them in Windows Server 2008, you first have to get the Game Controllers item in the Control Panel.
1. To get the Game Controllers item in your Control Panel download joy_32bit.zip from Mirrorcreator if you are using the x86 version of Windows or joy_64bit.zip from Mirrorcreator if you are using the x64 version. These files are taken from respectively a clean installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x86 and Windows Vista Ultimate x64. The .cpl files of Windows Vista don’t work.
2. Right click joy_32bit.zip or joy_64bit.zip and choose Extract All in the context menu. Choose as destination C:Windows and optionally uncheck Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract and choose Yes when asked if you want to merge the System32 (and SysWOW64 in x64) folder.
3. In the Start menu click Control Panel.
– If you use the Modern View, click the Hardware and Sound section and choose Set up USB game controllers.
– If you use the Classic View, doubleclick the Game Controllers icon.
4. Configure your game controller and play!