Welcome to Win2008 Workstation
This manual will help you to install Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and to configure your PC so you can use it as a workstation. You can use the Windows Server 2008 Workstation Converter created by sawo if you want to automate the whole process. If you need any help, don’t hesitate to post your question on the forums. Screenshots of my final Windows Server 2008 workstation can be viewed here.
If you are still not convinced why to use Windows Server 2008 as your workstation OS, read this article and read the discussion at the forum.
Table of Contents
1. Installation, Drivers, OS Language and Owner Information: Installation of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and how to set owner name and -organization.
2. Wireless Networking: (If you don’t use wireless, skip this step) Enable wireless networking in Windows Server 2008.
3. New User, Auto Logon and Strong Passwords Enforcement: How to create a new user, how to configure a user to logon automatically and how to disable enforcement of a minimum complexity for passwords.
4. Shutdown Tracker: How to disable the annoying Shutdown Event Tracker.
5. Ctrl+Alt+Del: Disable ctrl+alt+del at Windows startup.
6. Audio and Startup Sound: Enable audio and Startup Sound in Windows Server 2008.
7. Computername: Change computername.
8. Performance: Increase performance of applications in windows server.
9. Internet Explorer Enhanced Security: Disable Enhanced Security in Internet Explorer.
10. Themes, SideBar with Custom Gadgets, Aero Cursors and Thumbnails: Enable the Vista Aero theme and 3d flip with Sidebar and preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer.
11. SuperFetch: Maintain and Improve your system performance.
12. Delay Activation: How to extend the evaluation period to 240 days.
13. Windows Search: Install the Windows Search service to search your Outlook and documents.
14. Hyper-V: How to install the Hyper-V virtualization serverrole in Windows Server 2008 x64.
15. Offline Files: Installing the Offline Files feature to improve mobility!
Forum: Place here all your questions, problems and solutions about configuring and using Windows Server 2008 as Workstation.
Security Software: Check what Antivirus and Firewall programs are compatible with Windows Server 2008.
Games and Entertainment: List of Games that can (not) be played and articles about how to get them working.
Wish List: Features we want to have in Windows Server 2008, but aren’t working yet.
Fine-Tuning Services: Optimize performance by configuring the Windows Services.
Youtube Channel: Tips & Tricks from the win2008workstation Youtube Channel.
Other Posts: Missing gameux.dll, Missing xinput9_1_0.dll, Disabling DEP, Patching .msi installers, Game Controllers, Install GTA2, Win2008Workstation Converter, Take Ownership/Permissions, Custom Logonscreen Background
Useful forum Topics: TV Tuner in Server 2008, Applications Compatibility (x86) (x64), Windows Live Applications, Skype, Windows Movie Maker, Snipping Tool, Vista Games.
External links: Installing Microsoft Bluetooth Stack (x86/x64), Students get Windows Server 2008 for free via DreamSpark!
Mozt of your fourm links aren’t working
All of the fourm posts give me a HTTP 502 Bad Gateway Error
I felt convinced by the guides for the Windows Server Versions. You might need to make another one for Windows Server 2019 soon though.
what happened with http://www.win2008r2workstation.com? it’s offline as far as i can tell, any other url to get the relevant content or will the site be put online again?
I took over the Windows Workstation project some time ago now.
Windows Server 2008 and 2008R2 are almost identical, and steps on this blogs can be followed for both editions.
This is the same with Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2
You can now access this at http://www.windowsworkstation.com/win2008r2 🙂
Hey there, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads
up! Other then that, awesome blog!